Thursday, December 6, 2012

Great Reads


My other love, Nicholas Kristof, and his wife published a book a few years ago titled Half the Sky; I just noticed that Amazon is running a special for $8.88 for the paperback version. While it's not adoption related, it is one of the most insightful books I have read about the current state of humanity. His ability to prompt readers to understand their role in helping to turn oppression into opportunity for countless women and families is powerful. He weaves together narrative with nonfiction in a way that will make you long to be in the middle of no where working alongside others who are making this world better. I planned on just posting multiple images of the book cover here and telling you to guy it, but it seemed bare without words.




Now I've realized that I can't just suggest one book. I mean really, who buys just one book? You need multiple suggestion. After you addint Half the Sky to your card, then check out There is No Me Without You by Melissa Faye Greene. This gives insight into how one Ethiopian woman has worked to help serve children affected by the AIDS crisis by opening her open to children orphaned by AIDS. Besides telling the story of orphanages in Ethiopia, Greene humorously describes how she stumbled into adoption and gives a pretty eye-opening description of life after adoption. Greene is transparent enough to let readers know that building an adoptive family is not all sunshine and roses like all of your blogs make it look, but she also instills confidence that it is possible to successfully build a family with kiddos from all sorts of backgrounds.

So, this is clearly the most random posting, I really only intended to mention the Kristoff book because it's awesome and on sale, but then I saw a FB post remind me of There is No Me Without You and then I remembered this awesome book. So, I had to squeeze in one last book. This is technically book for teachers, but as I read it, I couldn't help but think that it should be a book for parents. In Fall Down 7 Times, Get Up 8, Debbie Silver addresses the need for adults to not only let kids fail, but encourage failure as a way to build resiliancy and critical thinking skills.

Happy reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment