Sunday, June 12, 2011

Diving Head-first into Fundraising

We’ve only dabbed our toes into the waters of adoption, and I have found myself stretched and uncomfortable in so many ways. For an introvert who can’t be measured by Myers Briggs, I find this process way too public. We’ve submitted every possible detail of our financial life to strangers on the other side of the country, and we’re waiting for a complete stranger to come visit us to decide if we are fit parents or not. This sort of nakedness in front of strangers feels much more comfortable than the unchartered world of building a fundraising network. I am not a fundraiser. I don’t ask for help. It’s a fault, I know. So, for the baby girl who will be waiting for us on the other side of the world, I swallow my pride.
 
For those of you who don’t know, over the next year or so we will need about $30,000 to finalize our adoption. We’ve saved some, but will need nothing short of a miracle to close the gap between what we have and what we need.  So, despite my hesitations, Jimmy and I have been working on a fundraising plan. Jimmy has been dreaming up ideas for how we can supplement our incomes to bring home Baby Ellie sooner.
Our first step is turning this blog into a source of income. You’ll notice more ads and links to Amazon.com. If you link to Amazon through our site and make a purchase, we will earn a percentage of your purchase. So, if you are a regular Amazon shopper, please link to their site through ours. If not, you really can buy about anything on Amazon, so link through our blog and see what you can find.
Love,
Jimmy and Celeste

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea- will do!! :)
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Skara :) I can't wait to hear more about Isaac :)

    ReplyDelete